i imported the code from the tutorial and had only one small serial method change to make in order to update it to Arduino 1.0. My adapted code here.
my next challenge was to pair the headset and receiver. after re-reading the original directions, i realized it was a simple order of operations problem. to pair one must start with both off (including the headset must not be worn yet). power up the receiver module and then power up the headset. you may then put the headset on the subject. anytime i did not follow those directions strictly the system wouldn't pair.
within minutes i could watch changes in the LED responses; i tracked changes to emotional and tension levels